• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

What is the best technique for making cannabutter?

#15180 2 years, 12 months ago
Hello friends -

I am going to be making some cannabutter for the very first time this weekend. I am looking for a healthier alternative to smoking and have always enjoyed the nice body buzz associated with edible treats. I was wondering if any of you have experience making the stuff. If so, could you please provide some info on the process?

Thanks All
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Re: What is the best technique for making cannabutter?

#15181 2 years, 12 months ago
If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be seperated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if your using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.
Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

Step 5.

the water has turned glossy and thick on top You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth
When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out. throw away the marijuana after this.

Step 6.

Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to seperate the waste water!Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with. f you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving. Just chill out, and enjoy!

www.420magazine.com/forums/420-kitchen/3...er-7-easy-steps.html
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#15182 2 years, 12 months ago
Canna butter sugar cookies. yum......

3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canna butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Combine flour baking powder and salt and set aside. Cream together canna butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time and then add vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture until well blended. Cover and keep in the frig for about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350* Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cut out into shapes and place on greased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets and cool.

Cooking time may vary slightly,keep an eye on them.Enjoy!
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#15185 2 years, 12 months ago
lmgtfy.com/?q=cannabutter

its really just adding the trim to butter, cooking straining

cook times and trim to butter ratios are best borne of personal experience. the typical method is 1 oz of sugar leaf(good quality trim), to 1lb of butter(four sticks), and cooked for 30 min

then strain it...id do it twice, once thru a regular mesh strainer and once thru a fine mesh coffee filter...dont forget to squeeze the remainder out of the trim!

you can also use any kind of fat. THC needs the fat to become available to the human body when used orally. even adding a few buds to a bowl of top ramen works...the dehydrated animal fats in the flavoring packets are enough to get you stoned. you can use milk and make bhang, add cannabis to any dish with lots of oils and fats, or a broth containing any oil and fat content, or even add it to the bacon grease i save to cook in! LOL! it might be a distasteful sounding joke but it would work

and of course, i live in an area where medical cannabis is legal, have my current legal doctors recommendation, and provide this info only for others legally able to use medical cannabis
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by DL1943.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#15186 2 years, 12 months ago
Sugar cookies hold up very nicely in the freezer.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#15188 2 years, 12 months ago
Hey DL, you ever try the bacon grease thing? Thanks for the info! Same to you neverstop
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#15193 2 years, 12 months ago
given how perishable butter is when not refridgerated, you might want to consider alternatives such as hemp oil, olive oil, coconut butter or ghee, all of which are a lot less perishable. i used to use the water/butter extraction method, but found just heating the herb in any of those for awhile (and then straining) works just as well. also, if you're dealing with real shwag weed, that wouldn't even give you a buzz if smoked, heating it to around 190 degrees f, out of the presence of oxygen as much as possible (completely immersed) will complete a lot of the latent thc and give you a much stronger buzz...
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#15194 2 years, 12 months ago
i've wasted ounces trying to cook it right and failing - dont even remember everything I did but I tried a few different methods - never strained it out though I always just threw the pot mixed with the butter right in.

thanks for the info.
skyties
Junior Boarder

#15204 2 years, 12 months ago
We never strain out the butter, why waste it? Eat it.
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#15209 2 years, 12 months ago
If you havnt started it yet than dont use butter. use vegetable oil. it works much better and is way way more easy to work with than butter

Get a crock pot and throw in your finely ground up weed. Pour vegetable oil over the top of it until the weed is just barely submerged in it. Let it cook in the crock pot on low for a few hours. Run it threw a strainer and than start making whatever baked goods you want.

YOu dont have to put it in the fridge to freeze and seperate the butter from water. Oil you dont need to do this and its easy to strain.
Time to create page: 0.90 seconds